Monday, May 19, 2014

e. When All Is Said

I am now retired, away from the demands of professional life and, with more time available, I enjoy cooking more than ever.

Some combinations come back regularly and their preparation is pretty much automatic. For other, more creative dishes, ideas seem to emerge naturally before I start cooking. Sometimes, I change course in the middle because I have run out of a particular spice or because I suddenly think of a possible variation or improvement. I rarely use recipes, let alone look them up in one of my cookbooks.

It also seems that my cooking is getting healthier and more austere every day, with short cooking times and little fat, away from permeation and complexity, into happy combinations, authenticity and simplicity. Actually, I do not need to eat a “cooked” meal twice a day. A fresh salad or a good sandwich can be as satisfying.

Sharing our life between the rural south of France and the Bay Area in the United States, choices that we made consciously, we are blessed with some of the best products this earth can still offer us. I feel it is my human duty to honor them as well as I can.

Again wisdom comes from the Far-East, precisely from Zen Buddhist monks who, without any inkling of shame or guilt, pronounce happiness desirable and tie it in very naturally with a quest for taste.

Every one of their 4 precepts is a gem to ponder consciously:

§  Be fully aware when cooking…
§  Cook serenely…
§  Cook joyously…
§  Cook like a mother…




No comments:

Post a Comment